There is something very special about homemade bread. It is fascinating to watch the bread dough come alive and rise up, and the delicious smell of freshly baking bread is mouth-watering. Although it can be time-consuming, making bread at home is very rewarding. The process of bread making is quite straightforward, but you will need to follow each step carefully to ensure the best results. Why not try making bread for special holidays? This is a lovely way to add some homemade flair to holiday meals. This Golden Santa Bread Recipe is a wonderful way to introduce children to bread baking. Crafting the bread dough into a Santa face before baking is great fun, and will help get children interested in baking.
Golden Santa Bread Recipe
You could make your own basic bread dough from scratch, using strong bread flour, salt, sugar and yeast. You can also buy pre-prepared bread dough mixes to which you simply add water.
- Once the bread dough is fully risen turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. To begin you will need to cut the dough ball in half. Use one half to create a flat, elongated teardrop shape for the Santa hat and head.
- Pull the top of the elongated shape down carefully and twist to make a hat shape.
- Cut away a small piece from the remaining section of dough and shape into two small balls and a thin strip. Pat a little water on the end of the hat and stick on one ball on to create a bobble. Pat a little water at the base of the hat and place the strip over to create the hat band. Save the remaining dough ball for Santa’s nose.
- Now flatten and shape the remaining half of the dough into a semi- circle shape. This will be used to create Santa’s bread. Using a pair of scissors or a small knife gently cut strips into the beard from the curved side, leaving around 1 inch remaining at the flat side of the circle.
- Pat a little water over the bottom rounded part of the Santa face, and then carefully lay the prepared bead piece over the top. Smooth carefully into place, without damaging the cut strips.
- Now you can stick the remaining ball of dough on for Santa’s nose, using a little water.
- Mix some red food colouring with a beaten egg and brush over the hat, nose and cheeks. Place two plump currents on the face section for Santa’s eyes. Brush a little plain beaten yolk over Santa’s beard.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown.